Sunday, September 03, 2006

Changing Seasons

The leaves have not yet begun to change, but the cool undercurrents in today’s breeze betray Fall’s stealthy approach.

I am ready. Having lived in a four-season climate my entire life, my body, mind and spirit cooperate in eagerly anticipating the next season. I am sick of my summer wardrobe and am looking forward to turtleneck sweaters and bulky scarves. I am tired of the hot sun and even ready to let my tan fade into winter-white chicken skin. I am ready for flannel sheets and apple pie.

Oh, for the day when my spirit is as discerning and anticipating the next season of God for my life! The writer of Ecclesiastes says, “There is a time for everything, and a season for every activity under heaven” (3:1). There clearly are many seasons in our lives. Looking back we can chronicle them in photo albums and journals. We pass the stories over holiday meals.

But how do we know the next spiritual season is coming…and how do we prepare?

As strongly as I sense the imminence of Fall’s approach, so, too, do I sense a new spiritual season is around the corner. I’m ready because I know God is preparing me for it, even in ways I have yet to see. Until I see it with my eyes, I will rest in You and move faithfully day by day, according to Your Spirit, Lord. For in You I live and move and have my being.

My destination is sure,
The journey, exciting.
I will enjoy the ride.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home