Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Holy Spirit Parenting

My eyes opened and I was wide awake instantly. My heart raced. The room was dark and quiet. What woke me, I wondered? In a moment I heard the back door close as if someone was trying to close it gently, but the frame squeaked as it had swelled with the humidity of the night.

Then I remembered – a basement full of teenage boys. Something must be rotten in the state of Denmark!

I walked quietly to the window of our bedroom overlooking the driveway, where I captured a perfect view of a “crime” playing out below. The boys were concocting a homemade bomb!

“No, no and no,” I said firmly enough to stop them without yelling and thereby scaring them into throwing the contents on the ground. My nephew, the instigator, looked up and with the fear of God overshadowing him, whispered, “Aunt Amy,” as if the good Lord Himself had spoken to him. If my adrenaline hadn’t been full throttle by this point, I would have laughed.

My husband and I had prayed before going to bed that night to keep the boys safe while they had fun at my son’s 16th birthday party. I didn’t know exactly what to pray for – who knew they would be trying to set off homemade bombs at 4 am? But, the Holy Spirit knew exactly what to do.

…God’s Spirit is right alongside helping us along. If we don’t know how or what to pray, it doesn’t matter. He does our praying in and for us, making prayer our of our wordless sighs, our aching groans. He knows us far better than we know ourselves, knows our pregnant condition, and keeps us present before God. That’s why we can be so sure that every detail in our lives of love for God is worked into something good.
Romans 8:26-28, The Message

The good that came out of the situation? I had the opportunity to “hold it together” (not overreact as I am often prone to do), and Mike had the opportunity to see the importance of pausing to think about consequences. Good growth lessons for both of us – and we are the better for it.

Will my teenage son make any more bone-headed choices? Probably. We expect them; it’s part of growing up. But I’m learning that while I cannot always be there to make the decision for him, I can trust the Holy Spirit to alert me when we need to step in – even in the middle of the night.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home